How-To-Blog: Purpose and Content

Welcome to part three of my How-To-Blog series.  If you missed it: Part One | Part Two .  I decided to put the concepts of Purpose and Content together because they go hand-in-hand like pea and carrots or love and marriage you can't have one without the other.

Purpose:
You can say your purpose is to blog but what do you blog about? You blog about content or if you are simply ranting about your day diary style then your blog is your content. This is where your organization skills will come in handy. I use a notebook and Google to keep track of my stuff so I recommend getting one of those tiny notebooks and writing down your ideas, thoughts, hopes, ect. You could create a vision board like I did for my blog out of things I found in my office:



So if your purpose is to be a resource for DIY projects then obviously you have the content all figured out. Your will blog about DIY projects. If your purpose is to inform on the latest fashions then obviously you'll be a fashion blog with fashion posts, ect.

Content:
Next you'll need content. I don't mean that you have to make dolls, or that you have to create graphics but that there needs to be something on your blog that the visitors who come to your blog can see, read, take, gain something from it that ties into your purpose. So my first websites where for the purpose of people taking graphics I created for them. Then it was to vent my emotions and create graphics for people. I actually sold and coded blogs throughout high school for pay. Now the purpose of my blog is to create, inspire and inform. I create little DIY's and share them with you. Hopefully my blog as a whole inspires you in some way and I hope that this post as well as my fashion posts either inspire or inform you on certain topics. If I'm not doing these things then I've failed my blog, you as readers and myself because I didn't fulfill my purpose. Damn it!

Another thing you may want to do is jot down your ideas (hence the notebook) for content because they may pop into your head while you are out and about or you may want that notebook for scheduling. Blogs take a lot of work, so planning ahead so your blog does not stagnate or go without content for a long period of time. Obviously you won't blog every day, who has the time for that. I try to make sure I have something planned for Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. I use Tuesdays and Thursdays to build content for the next "posting" day and weekends for my projects. You don't have to do this but I like to keep it steady. Obviously you can plan out whatever you'd like.

I have "Make Up Mondays" so that my make up loving guys and gals can come back every Monday to find something they will enjoy. For my fashionista's I have my Wednesday Want List. Obviously Fridays I don't have a set thing going. I wanted to do Photo Friday because I love those repeating consonants but that doesn't seem to be working so well for me. Foodie Friday, Fashion Friday, Tutorial Tuesdays, Thrifty Thursdays (ALLITERATIONS - I love them!) seemed kind of like what I was geared towards in the beginning.



But this M/W/F schedule works for me. For now I just have a random piece of content on Fridays. So not everything is thought of ahead.  Also, I like the idea of being free to do whatever I want on Fridays. Having the same thing every Monday and Wednesday may also be seen as boring but I like to think of it as structure. I also have pieces written and stacked up for when I don't have any earthly idea of what to do but know that I need a post. See the Task list? I keep my ace in the hole right where I can see them in case I get stuck.

Here is a tiny list of content ideas that I have come up with for my blog. I don't mind if you use them because it's really hard to be original these days so as long as it has your flavor to it there's no way to say you ripped it from me. ;) Hell, if anything you can say I ripped it from you.

  • Link Love
  • Giveaways
  • What I am Wearing/Reading/Eating/ Listening to OR Currently
  • Photo's of the Week
  • Post of the Week
  • Who Wore It Better
  • Tutorials
  • DIY Projects
  • Series of Blogs on "How To...."
  • GPOY
  • Current Event
  • Free Write
  • FAQ's
  • Freebie's
  • This Time Last Year
  • Favorite Album
  • Movie/Music/Product/Website Review
  • Guest Blogger Post
  • Sponsor Post
  • Interviews
  • Recipes
  • Vlogs
Since I ran out of ideas here are links to other articles talking about the same damn thing. They also recycle some of the same ideas between each other so sorry for the monotony:

Also check out these links from Independent Fashion Bloggers. They are excellent resources for any type of blogger:


Credit: Independent Fashion Bloggers

No comments :

Post a Comment

You want to comment? YAY! I love hearing what you have to say about my posts. I will try my hardest to respond to each and every one on here as well as on your blog if you have one.

Thanks for stopping by!