I'd Rather Be Soaping

So as you've heard I like to make soap. Actually, I should amend that last statement I love to make soap. I've been making Melt & Pour soap for the last couple of months and when I get to California I am going to try making soap using the cold process. That way is a little more complex and uses a little bit more science (yay) well chemistry (uh I never took chemistry) and it takes longer to produce a usable bar of soap but the benefits definitely outweigh those cons.

Things needed to make soap using the Cold Process Method
For example, you chose what ingredients go into your soaps. Don't want to use animal fats? Don't use animal fats. If you like shea butter, put some shea butter in there! Want to use all natural colorants? Go ahead. I'm not saying that you can't do these things with regular melt & pour but you are restricted to the type of base you use, sometimes the colorants and you don't get to control how the glycerin is made.

But you guys are lost aren't you? Most people have no idea how to make soap or what soap even is. I just told my co-worker today that lye was used in making most soap and he was like "Lye? Time to stop using soap." Lye isn't bad you guys. It can do bad things to your skin or any kind of organic matter yes but when you make soap properly all of those bad properties vanish. That's called letting it "cure" or "curring." All that means if the bar of soap was exposed to the air for a period of time to lower the pH levels (typically 4-6 weeks).

Let me explain a bit more. Soap is made by a term called Saponification (Sap-on-if-ication). Saponification is the name for a chemical reaction between an acid and a base to form a salt. When you make soap using the cold process soap making method, you mix an oil or fat (acid) with Lye (base) to form soap (salt). 

Told you it has science (and math - ew)

You don't have to use lye either. There are so many different types of soap like glycerin soaps, animal based soaps, castile soaps and different ways to make them like melt & pour (melt glycerin and add additives), rebatch (where you make the soap, grate it and re-mold it), cold process or  hot process (which is made the same way as cold process only the cold process never gets heated up - go figure).

There's so much to get into on soaping but I'm just going over very minimal stuff that is important and well, maybe share my story and my website. 


 I discovered soap making by accident really. I live in Florida and Florida has some God-awful storms.  While babysitting my room mate's baby I was trapped in Hobby Lobby without an umbrella or anything to shield the child from the torrential downpour. I decided to wait the storm out and went up and down every isle in the store. I discovered the soap making section near the candles and I became intrigued.
Once the storm had died down I went home and immediately began researching. I watched hours of video's on How-To.... basically do everything from melt and pour, to cold process to embedding and swirling and making fun shapes with cookie cutters. It opened my artistic and creative Goddess inside to a whole new set of possibilities.




I decided to start putting these creations up for sale as a way to make some space in my apartment, LOL. I came up with the name Spellbound Soaps for my business, bought a dotcom and have actively started advertising. I chose the name because as I said, I was intrigued by the idea but more over I became enchanted, like someone placed a magical spell on me and I am now compelled to make soap. More soap, better designs, cuter names, funky ideas and incorporate all of it into soap making. I am spellbound by making soap and I hope that you will be enchanted and spellbound by them too.

Have you visited my web store yet?

37 comments :

  1. I confess, I don't know much about soap making at all. It sounds very interesting! It's great that you have found something that you enjoy. Best of luck with your store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saponification. Will definitely use that in conversation to sound smarter :) Such a cool hobby and pretty product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know nothing about soap. Who knew there was so much to it! I recently got felted soap as a present and was intrigued. I will check out your selections. Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felted soap is so beautiful. I have toyed with the idea of making some but I have a problem with using animal products. I sometimes use beeswax in my soap but I have a local supplier who also gives me honey (it's great living in California where the beekeepers are in the same orchards I get my fruit from!) and I've spoken with them several times and asked them to go over how they extract the honey and the beeswax without harming the bees. "They do it themselves, we just take it out of the box."

      But back to the felting - it's made with wool and that presents two problems: Allergies and animal cruelty. People usually don't realize that felted soaps are made with sheeps wool and not the felt you craft with. So if you are allergic to wool and you rub that all over your sick you are going to have some serious allergic reactions. Secondly I don't know any sheep farmers to ask them if when they are shaving the sheep are they hurting them and I can't watch them do it. Seems boring. *sigh*

      It's so pretty but I just can't see it doing much for me until I can find a way to not use sheep wool.

      Delete
  4. For years I have wanted to learn to make soap, it looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit: I just want the end result. I'd likely acid my eyebrows off trying to attempt this process. I do, however, have a cousin who loves to make her own candles. I'm going to share this with my cousin. She's smarter than me...lol. Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candle making and soap making are very similar. As long as you wear goggles and gloves you'll be fine. I always keep vinegar on hand. I tend to soap with my gloves off after I've combined the lye water with my oils but it is still high in pH and irritates my hands. I just rub the vinegar all over my hands and it neutralizes the burning. I am proud to say that I have not had a serious lye burn yet!

      Delete
  6. I must admit: I just want the end result. I'd likely acid my eyebrows off trying to attempt this process. I do, however, have a cousin who loves to make her own candles. I'm going to share this with my cousin. She's smarter than me...lol. Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once gave one of my daughters a soap making book thinking it was her kind of thing. Not so much.

    I like your story of the wandering to wait out the rain and your personal discovery of soap making. Usually that's the best way to find something you love. Enjoy your SITS Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melt & Pour is the best for small children as there isn't a whole bunch of science immediately involved and the product takes less time. Kids usually want what they want when they want it. Try again when she's older. They sell kits at Michaels for $20 and it usually comes with every thing you need. Melt and Pour base, colors/fragrance and even botanicals depending on the kit plus a plastic mold (be care with them they will warp over time) that usually has fun shapes. Then you'll just need a microwave safe container that you can use specifically for soaping (never use soaping tools for food) like a giant Pyrex measuring cup and you're golden.

      Delete
  8. I have never thought about the possibility of making soaps, but I know how that goes when you get intrigued with something and then spend hours researching it. I've had things captivate me like that, too. :) Happy SITS Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY SITS DAY...I don't use soaps, I prefer body wash...but haven't made my own. I do think they make pretty gifts and sometimes use them as air freshners.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to try making soap, but my husband would probably leave me if I took on another crafty project to use up space in our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes up A LOT of room. A LOT. I have invaded my mothers house and used up her whole back room (she was using it for storage anyways). I have soaps laying around curing all over the place. Not to mention I have boxes with all my supplies everywhere. I need to get more organized but it's hard to do when you use so much stuff!

      Delete
  11. Your soaps are so pretty! It looks very involved lol, but I am tempted to try it sometime. I love that they can be sort of personalized, they would make great gifts! (stopping by from SITS, enjoy your day!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they are very involved. It takes a lot of time setting things up and lots of measuring and then the actual process of "making the soap" goes by so quickly in comparison. I maybe spend an hour or two getting everything ready and then it's all mixed, scented, colored and into the mold, ready to set up and become a solid loaf of soap within a 5 minute period. Then it's about a two hour clean up time frame. LOL.

      Soap makes for excellent gifts. I get lots of orders by word of mouth. I gave my friend some soap for her birthday and she was like "I hope you don't mind, I told my friend to add you on facebook because she went into my bathroom and smelled the coconut soap you made me. She wants some." My mom has done that too. I had to make a FB page for my business so I keep telling everyone to send them that way!

      Delete
  12. Your soaps are so pretty! It looks very involved lol, but I am tempted to try it sometime. I love that they can be sort of personalized, they would make great gifts! (stopping by from SITS, enjoy your day!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think people who make soap are so talented, it just looks like it would take so much patience that I don't have! This is by far the clearest post I've seen on the variations that go into it, and holy cow, color me impressed. I love your little bags of soaps, so stinkin' cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never made soap but you make it sound awesome! Happy SITS Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! Stopping by from SITS. This is really a smart DIY. Very cool! Good Luck with your soap business!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a friend who knows how to do this - although she hasn't presented me with any in awhile so I'll have to remind her how much I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful business!!! The ART of soap... I shared it on facebook!!! Happy SITS day!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to do this. I like doing crafty stuff, but I like doing crafty stuff that people will then actually use. Thanks for this, and I'm definitely pinning. Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you use organic, nontoxic ingredients in your soaps? Do you have soaps for sensitive skin or babies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That depends on the soap. If I am doing melt and pour soaps I don't get to pick the ingredients made in that soap and there are preservatives used in them that I cannot control. They are fun and they make pretty soap and are nourishing for your skin but they won't be organic.

      When I make soap using the cold process or the hot process everything is handmade by me and I can select what ingredients to use and what ingredients not to use. Typically I try to use organic ingredients but all soap is made with Lye, which in it's initial form is toxic. There is no way to get around that. By the time it comes to you, the consumer it is no longer caustic or irritating to the skin as it has been combined with oils during the saponification process mentioned above.

      I can make any type of soap that you'd like using the cold process. I can make something specifically for you geared towards sensitive skin or even for babies. If you are allergic to perfumes I can make an unscented bar or if you are allergic to cosmetic or food dyes I can make one with no coloration or color it using natural ingredients like Annato seed or Rosemary. It depends on what you want and that's the beauty of soap! I hope I have answered your questions, if you have any more feel free to e-mail and we can discuss it in depth.

      Delete
  20. Stopping by froms Sits! I feel like I learned so much from this post. We received a box of homemade soap as a wedding present and love them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy SITS day! The most I do with soap is making my own laundry soap! Looks like tons of fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm told that whenever I start talking about music (which is my job/career) or programming languages (which used to be my job) I get all geeked out. That's how I feel listening to you talk about soap. Like you totally just geeked out on me. And I'm kind of lost.

    But it's cool. People who geek out are awesome!

    Happy SITS day. :-)

    (ps, I'm gonna go visit your shop now.)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy SITS Day! You know, you've just inspired me to take up a sewing class. Although there is no relation between soap and sewing, I've always wanted a hobby. If I ever get the chance, I can probably sell homemade clothes or pillows on the internet. How do I get started? What's the best way to promote my business?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy SITS Day!
    I am really inspired by this blog post. When I get the chance, I'll probably take up sewing maybe sell some of my work on the internet. I just don't know how to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG that is so cool!!!! I want to make soap :) I usually just make soup...Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so cool! I had no idea so much goes into soap making. Very cute soaps! Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How crafty! I love homemade soaps. They are always so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That sounds like it could be a really fun hobby. I already have too many ignored hobbies myself so I'll probably never try it, but I am intrigued by it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. dropping by from sits! wow, this is intriguing and sounds like a fun hobby. i do love handmade soaps, and this one just opened my eyes to the process of making it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never made soap before but it looks FUN! :)

    -Sarah
    www.sweetandsavorylife.com
    www.facebook.com/sweetandsavorylife

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have friends who make soaps as well and I have always been so impressed with it. I am such a dip when it comes to things like this that...although I can make a mean whatever in the kitchen as far as food lol...making soap... I would probably blow up the house lol... Congrats on your SITS Day!! =)

    ReplyDelete

You want to comment? YAY! I love hearing what you have to say about my posts. I will try my hardest to respond to each and every one on here as well as on your blog if you have one.

Thanks for stopping by!